You have just purchased some amazing BLUblox blue light blocking glasses and you see you got a scratch on the lens - heart sink moment.
Sometimes lenses can become scratched, but there are do it yourself solutions to help remove scratches.
Scratches can occur for many reasons like, if you put your blue light glasses in your bag without the carry pouch and case, you place them face down on an abrasive surface or you may have put them in a draw and your keys have scratched your lenses.
In this article we are going to show you five ways that you can fix any scratches on your glasses. Whether these be regular prescription eyeglasses ,or blue light glasses from BLUblox or even another brand.
Aftercare service is especially important to us, that is why we wanted to show you how to fix scratches on your glasses lenses should this happen during their life with you.
5 Ways to Remove Scratches from Glasses
The below 5 tips will help to fix those pesky scratches on your lenses in no time at all.
1. Use Toothpaste
Toothpaste is not just great for cleaning your teeth, but also remarkably great at fixing scratched glasses lenses.
Toothpaste is such a great way to remove those pesky scratches from your amazing blue light blocking glasses.
Follow these steps:
- Add a small amount of non-abrasive toothpaste to a tissue or some cotton wool.
- Carefully buff away the scratches.
- If the scratches on your lenses are deep then you would most likely have to repeat this process several times to remove the scratches from your lenses.
Using toothpaste in this way is an excellent and cheap way to fix minor scratches on your blue light glasses.
2. Use Metal Polish and Rubbing Alcohol
We know what you are thinking, my scratched lenses are not made of metal so how does metal polish help!
BLUblox blue light blocking glasses lenses are made from a laboratory grade CR39 plastic and if they become scratched a combination of metal polish and rubbing alcohol can fix the scratches.
What you will need is the lowest abrasive metal polish; anything strong could damage the lenses further on your blue light filtering glasses.
Follow these steps:
- Add a small amount of metal polish to the scratched lens
- Use a clean cloth, tissue or cotton wool and carefully buff away scratches.
- Keep buffing until the scratches reduce in visibility. This process will take a while, so have patience.
- Once you have completed this step in fixing the scratches in your lenses apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol to a cotton bud to give the lenses a thorough clean.
You do not want to be inhaling polish fumes after you have fixed your blue light glasses.
3. Use Baking Soda
Whenever you need to give something a deep clean, fix scratched glasses or cook an epic dish, baking soda comes to the rescue.
Baking soda is a great alternative to toothpaste and polish if you do not know whether these substances are too abrasive.
If you are not sure and you do not want to damage your blue light glasses, it’s best to opt for the baking soda method to fix those scratched glasses.
Follow these steps:
- Add water to the baking soda to make a thick paste.
- Use a soft scratch-free cloth to rub into the scratched lenses.
- Rinse off under cold water.
- Repeat several times until the scratches are removed from your specs.
4. Use Car Cleaning Wax
Car cleaning wax works in much the same way that polish and toothpaste works, except it is less abrasive which makes it a safe option so you do not damage your glasses.
Follow these steps:
- Apply car cleaning wax to your scratched lenses.
- Rub gently in with a soft cloth.
- You should see this will smooth over any undesirable marks or scratches and make your blue light blocking glasses like new.
5. Use Glass Etching Cream
If the cheap and less hassle methods above do not work in removing the scratches from your glasses you can buy some glass etching cream.
Glass etching cream is great for removing scratches from plastic lenses.
BLUblox blue light glasses use a lab grade plastic lens so etching cream is an epic option in removing scratches from blue light glasses.
Glass etching creams contain an active ingredient, Hydrofluoric Acid, which helps to remove the outer coating on the plastic and will buff away at the scratch.
How to Prevent Getting Scratched Lenses
With disease, prevention is better than cure and the same is true for blue light glasses becoming scratched.
Below are three tips to help prevent your blue light glasses or computer glasses from becoming scratched.
1. Regularly Clean Your Blue Light Glasses
Whilst we always recommend cleaning your blue light blocking glasses, its essential to clean them using the correct materials.
BLUblox blue light glasses come with a special cleaning cloth that will not scratch your lenses.
We share more info on how to clean blue light glasses properly.
2. Handle Your Glasses with Care
Take care when removing your glasses from your case, putting them on or placing them down.
To prevent scratching your blue light glasses do not put them lens down on hard surfaces.
Whenever possible we recommend handling your blue light blocking glasses using both hands with a firm grip. This will avoid you needing to know how to fix your broken glasses.
3. Always Use a Glasses Case
When you do not use a case, you risk scratching your glasses. Keys, lens, hard surfaces and other sharp items may leave scratches on your glasses which is far from ideal.
All BLUblox blue light blocking glasses come with a protective case which should be used to house your blue light glasses whenever you’re not wearing them.
Preventing your blue light glasses getting scratched is the best option, but sometimes lenses can become scratched at no fault of your own.
If this happens try any of the five tips provided to fix scratches on your glasses. BLUblox blue light blocking glasses and computer glasses come with a scratch resistant coating which helps prevent minor scratches caused by daily wear and tear.
Too get a pair of the best blue light glasses visit BLUblox.com